Saturday, June 27, 2009

Adventures in Babysitters

Last night Travis and I were able to go to the temple together in Columbus, so we got a 16 year old babysitter who is in the branch and had come highly recommended by several people. This was her first time babysitting for us, so I got her a little early so I could show her around and run through our bedtime routine (since we'd be gone from 6 pm-12 pm). I was very specific that our kids aren't great sleepers unless you follow the routine and I showed her exactly where everything is, what time to begin, and what order to go in. I had also just cooked up some taco meat and cut up/shredded the toppings and put them on the counter so they could eat right after we left, so I showed her all of that, too. She and the girls all seemed excited and we left confident that thing would go great. The temple was wonderful as usual, and when I came in I didn't hear any crying and noticed that the young lady was sitting on the couch texting, so I thought "hooray! everyone really did go to sleep!" However, I then noticed that ALL the food was still out on the counter. Taco meat, cheese, sour cream...all just sitting there for the last 6 hours. "hmmm..." I thought, "Not good. I had cooked up a bunch of extras because we love leftovers. Tacos for lunch, taco salads... So now I'm just going to have to pitch all that meat and cheese, thanks kid." So then I asked her how it went and she was just a little too slow when she said, "It went great!" So I probed further.
"Everyone went to sleep just fine...no crying?"
Again a little too slow to answer. "Well, the baby cried a little."
I wanted details. "How much 'a little'. When did she go to sleep?"
"Umm..." she said, "at 10:20"
Our kids go to bed at 8. "So she cried for 2 1/2 hours?!"
"Just on and off." she said.
Then I noticed as I'm writing her the check for her 'services' I notice that the bottle and premeasured formula that I had set in the middle of the counter and shown her and given instructions on how to use it, especially if she's having a hard time sleeping she likes an extra bottle, I had told her all of that before we left, was never used. I started to swell up. I had to just get her home. It was already past midnight, and she lives far enough away that it would be an hour before I'd be back home.
An hour later I find that Travis has pitched/put away the food and is not any happier with the situation then I am. So I check on all three kids because if she never even gave the baby a bottle, who knows what all happened while we were gone! The older 2 were sleeping soundly, had on pajamas and were in their beds with covers on, so I guess they were alright. When I check on Lucy I notice that she did at least change her diaper before she 'put her to bed'. But didn't give her any blanket, after I took pains to make sure she understood that Lucy still likes to be swaddled when going to bed. No wonder she didn't go to sleep and just cried and cried!! Did she even listen to a word I said!? I was under the impression that she was a frequent babysitter! We've asked her to babysit before and she's always been busy babysitting for others!
So the next morning when I started to change Lucy's diaper and was feeling grateful that at least she HAD changed it before putting her to bed, I find that she put the diaper on... backwards.
I will never call that girl again!!!

7 comments:

Kimberly said...

This is......scarily terrible.

And probably why we've only hired one babysitter ever. (But she really was awesome and was in college and babysat for everyone all the time.)

Luckily there won't be too much emotional scarring on your children's part..............I remember when I was a babysitter I cleaned up everyone's stuff, even if it wasn't my job. No wonder people liked me. I hope you get a great babysitter next time.

Heidi said...

TERRIBLE!! I hope that you can find a better one.

Angie (Drowns) Kelly said...

Oh man... I had a girl put a diaper on backwards once. Poor baby!!! I would love to know why others hired her repeatedly. I hope you have better luck. I would recommend the 12 year olds or even 11 if you have really mature ones in your ward. I started babysitting at 11. They are a little less (ahem..texting) distracted. (and so sorry you had to throw the food out! I hate doing that!)

Heather McKeon said...

What in the world?? I really can't believe that she has babysat for anyone else - and that they actually like her?? Maybe she's just not good with babies? Or cleaning up, or even following directions apparently...

And it was one thing that Mark put Lucy's diaper on backwards cause he's an idiot boy that has never babysat or changed a diaper before! :)

The Smith Trio said...

Are you kidding me!!!!! I cant even think of anything else to say but that. I will never have a babysitter. Gannon will have to say around forever!

imabetty said...

What an awful experience! People used to think I was a freak because I wrote everything down for anyone watching my kids. (I, like you, had experiences with their "memories" being less than what I expected.) The process of finding a good sitter is SO frustrating sometimes. I sure hope you're able to find a good one before long.
No one can care for your kids like you can - but you DO need to be able to get away now and then and still have the comfort of knowing they're being well looked after.

RobinsonRugrats said...

OMG!!! I am so sorry! I cannot believe this girl. Don't listen to those people's recommendations EVER again!!